Blog 3: Material Development / Finance Seminar







Most of the time,  budgeting is something we get to deal  with on a daily basis but the practical details of strategic financing is not common to many and am just fortunate to be given this opportunity to learn from Mr. Sandy Giles, CFA.




With a mix of lecture and open discussion, learning has been tremendous covering the following topics:
  • Basics of Cash Flow and Savings
  • Basics on Stocks and Investing.
  • What Money Do I Need…5 years from now…30 years from now
  • How Fast Can Money Grow
  • What are Good Investments
  • How Do I Start in Savings and Investments
  • Cash and Money Markets
  • Bonds: For Safety & Security
  • Shares of Stock: Common and Preferred
  • Good Stocks vs Bad Stocks.
  • Winner Stocks : Prices Go Up
The basic learning gained may be enough for me to be armed with what I need to know to reassess my own financial philosophy and management, and brave the financial spectrum of investments.



REFLECTION FRAMEWORK 



Part One : See-Experience/Conscious Experience 
Discussions on financial management feeds my current interest. I know we are not getting any younger and all the financial learning is timely at this point.
Then there was the “before and after” thoughts on various financial concepts:
  • Savings versus Investing
  • Pure life Insurance investment versus Variable life insurance
  • Short-term investments versus long-term investments


All above made me reflect my financial priorities at my current stage in life as a single young entrepreneur. Which one would really work best or am I capable to balance all?

It has been a long desire for me to invest and I hope I have digested all the information I need to establish my own set of choice of financial vehicles to drive on.

Indeed,  I had a blast of learning! If before, I am not familiar with the works in stock and T-bill investments and perhaps even being reckless in my own cash flow management. Now, I can feel my own confidence as I am gliding thru various options leading to hopefully, a sound retirement in the future.

Part Two : Analysis and Reflection

A balancing act can always be a challenge.

Moreso, when you are speaking of financial management of our personal current and future needs  given limited financial resources at hand.

I was inclined initially with my parent’s traditional thought of savings thru banks only and for investments, must be into real estates, actual purchase of land property.

Needless to say, it is pertinent we get to update ourselves as possible new financial models in savings and investments  may help us retool our way of thinking, provide us more options for our present status or pressing need just as this learning session has enabled me.



But generally, I have realized  all savings and investments are good especially when we get to start young. Rewards are definitely higher.  There can be highs and lows in between but the law of average due to longer time of investment would enable higher yields eventually.

I hope everyone is as open as I am in embracing the various financial concepts shared. Because at the end, it is our own selves limiting the choices we make, and ultimately making the decision.

  
Part Three : Commitment-Action/Committed Action
I am excited to create an investment and savings plan as it will help me grow financially as well as intellectually.
I will set a monthly budget and plan to…
  • Open an additional savings account for my stock investment,T Bond Investment and Insurance Investment.
  • Coordinate with an insurance agent to set up an insurance plan best suited for me and my lifestyle.
  • Call my stock broker to invest in an initial capital for stocks.  I believe that investing a small amount of money is better than not investing at all.
And after getting enough funds for my investment, I will invest in Treasury Bills, Stocks and save for real estate money.
My goal in the next 5 years is to have an investment of…
  • Php 100,000 worth of stocks
  • Php 20,000 worth of treasury bills
  • A Life and Health insurance worth Php5,000,000 

For the Next 10 Years, I want to have an investment in commercial or residential properties to have a passive income.




In order for me to set this goal, I will need to seek the support and assistance of my cousin, a bank and financial manager and understand how these things work and to help me through the transition
As a Real Estate Broker, clients ask me if investing in real estate is the best investment. I educate them about the advantages and that there should always be a balance. Getting a real estate investment is good but investing in other things as well such as treasury bills, investing in stocks and getting an insurance, is both better and a must.

“Never depend on a single income. Make investments to create a second source”     - Warren Buffet

Having one source of income will be your foundation to having more successful investment projects. 

Plant the seed, see it grow and share your blessings.

LATEST UPDATE: As of writing, I already have an individual passbook for each funding, I have an account for Real Estate Funding, Stocks / Bond, Operating Expense, Travel, Emergency and Charity.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 4: Aesthetic / Cultural Development A trip to the National Museum and Food Crawling in Binondo

Blog 7: Mindfulness / Zen Meditation

Blog 8: Social Development / GK Enchanted Farm