Blog 6: Cultural Development / Binondo : Tsinoy Musical








Who knows a love story can bring not just a heave of emotions but massive ways of cultural expressions?

The learning in this session is  through a Filipino-Chinese musical play entitled “Binondo.” It tells the story of a Filipina falling in love with a Chinese scholar during pre-Martial Law in the heart of Manila’s Chinatown. Here goes one couple’s journey of great love and heartbreak.




REFLECTION FRAMEWORK

Part One : See-Experience/Conscious Experience 



While watching the play, I was able to experience cultural sensitivity as the story was not just about the love that a Chinese and a Filipina had for each other but also that it  depicted Marcos era and the cultural revolution of China.


I noticed that even during the 70s and 80s, differing cultures get to be socially connected and romantic relationships are very much possible despite cultural differences even when it is not acceptable.

I realized the lessons herein is still very much relevant today and there is a greater need for us all to be more culturally sensitive as our platform of business, of engagement, and expression is getting to be global.





My mindset before was that individuals having different cultural backgrounds cannot have a harmonious relationship, but the musical made me realize that relationships, through understanding, respect and open mindedness, can work despite cultural diversity.
Sometimes there can be clashes in some of our beliefs but at the end, we can still have a peaceful life living among each other.
There is a challenge of faith here being a Christian and La Sallian. We should avoid cultural differences, be aware that we have our own culture that we believe in and that we should practice our own beliefs and personal values.
Each of us are unique, so we should not compare our beliefs to the beliefs of others. We should not set a standard that disallows us to understand and get along with other people. We should accept and respect other peoples values, heritage, beliefs and culture as we expect them to respect the same of us.



As part of my commitment to  appreciate develop my cultural aspect and not to use my culture as a standard to limit my respect and understanding of others…


1.       I will be culturally sensitive. I will not be stereotypical and will never set a standard because the people around me have different cultures. I will do my best to work on my own beliefs, to share them with others and never insist that they practice the same beliefs.
2.       During my travels out of town or out of the country, I would make it a point to visit museums and cultural tourist spots, read books and do some research in order for me to understand and appreciate that place or that country’s culture to avoid disrespecting these people.
3.       I will learn a few of their basic languages and basic expected manners to show my respect.
4.       If and when I meet foreigners, I will become aware that they might possibly have different cultures, so before I will do or say anything,  I will ask them the if they will be comfortable with it.
5.       I will become more accommodating and welcoming to other people who have different  cultures as we Filipinos are known to be friendly and welcoming not just to foreign people but to our own.
6.       I will be more patient and understanding when meeting people of diversity by always placing by putting myself in other people’s shoes so they would know that I am trying to understand their feeling and intentions.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 4: Aesthetic / Cultural Development A trip to the National Museum and Food Crawling in Binondo

Blog 7: Mindfulness / Zen Meditation

Blog 8: Social Development / GK Enchanted Farm